How to Request a Record of Employment

Service Canada uses the information on the Record of Employment to determine whether a person qualifies for EI benefits, the benefit rate and the duration of the employee’s claim.

How do I obtain my Record of Employment?

Records of Employment are not issued automatically. They must be requested from Payroll by the department or employee.

To request a Record of Employment, contact The following information must be included in the request:

  • Your surname (as it appears in the payroll system)
  • Your first name (as it appears in the payroll system)
  • Your U of T personnel number
  • Your U of T department / division
  • Your area code and telephone number
  • Your last day of work

Please note: As ROEs are submitted electronically, the data enters Service Canada’s systems directly, where it is used to process EI claims. Employers no longer need to print a paper copy for employees.

If you would like to obtain a copy of your ROE, you should visit the My Service Canada Account page online. From My Service Canada Account, you can view and / or print copies of ROEs on the same day the ROE is submitted. To access My Service Canada Account, visit:

When will the ROE be issued by Payroll?

If the pay period is biweekly employers now have up to five days after the end of the pay period when an employee’s interruption of earnings begins to issue an electronic Record of Employment.

If the pay period is monthly, employers should issue electronic ROEs on one of the following dates, whichever is earlier:

  • Up to five days after the end of the pay period when the employee’s interruption of earnings begins; or,
  • Up to 15 days after the first day of the interruption of earnings.

Please note that in periods where we experience a high volume of requests, we will attempt to have the information submitted to HRSDC as soon as possible.

Once the ROE has been submitted electronically to Service Canada, you will receive an email from the Payroll Department indicating the date of issue of the ROE and the link to the Service Canada web site should you wish to obtain a copy of the document.

What is a Record of Employment (ROE)?

The ROE is the form-whether electronic or paper-that employers complete for employees receiving insurable earnings who stop working and experience an interruption of earnings. The ROE is the single most important document in the Employment Insurance (EI) program. Each year, more than 1 million Canadian employers fill out more than 9 million ROE forms for their employees.

A ROE must be completed even if the employee does not intend to apply for Employment Insurance (EI) benefits. The ROE includes details about an employee’s work history at an organization, including insurable earnings and insurable hours.

ROE forms can be submitted electronically, or via a paper ROE form.

When to request a Record of Employment

When an employee:

  • quits his/her job;
  • is laid off or terminated; or,
  • has had within the last 52 weeks or since the last ROE, or is anticipated to have seven (7) consecutive calendar days without both work and insurable earnings from the employer.

An interruption of earnings also occurs when:

the salary falls below 60% of normal weekly earnings due to illness, injury, pregnancy, the need for a parent to care for either newly born or adopted children, or the need to provide care or support to a family member who is gravely ill with a significant risk of death.